Saturday 3 May 2008

Smoking


After we had the lecture on smoking, I was surprised to see that almost everybody had at least tried smoking. Whilst I was growing up, both of my parents smoked, and my grandparents. Almost everyone around me smoked, and I didn't feel it was very fair that I had to breathe in thier smoke all the time. I think because of this I had never wanted to smoke, and now that I'm 25, I feel proud of myself for never starting. Although a good deal of my friends are smokers, I don't know a single person who is glad they smoke. They all wish they could give up, but it's too difficult now. One of the main reasons young people do start to smoke though, is peer pressure, and the need for fitting in with the 'IN' crowd. This also extends to seeing your favourite celebrities smoking, and wanting to be just like them. At least there is a lot more publicity on the bad effects of smoking now, and at least that seems to put young people off a bit. I found this website very interesting, and useful for parents who don't want to expose their children to their favourite stars smoking. http://www.scenesmoking.org/

No comments: